Half past three in the afternoon and I find myself scouring the kitchen looking for something to eat. That's me... I belong to the population which constantly searches for little bites and munchies at weird hours of the day. And yes, many a times I wish that that bag of chips on the kitchen counter wasn't so easy within reach!
Recently, Donna Hay's magazine had a special edition for children. I bought that, even though I do not have any kids of my own. But it's Donna Hay! How could I not buy her magazine?! Anyway, there is a recipe in an advertising feature which caught my eye - Baked Bean and Egg Bread Cups. I find the bread cups so adorable that i had to make them for my tea-time snack! I am not a big fan of baked beans, so, I swapped the filling to my favourite egg mayonnaise topped with some mixed dried herbs! I loved how the bread cups turn out in a shape of a star. It makes eating fun and well... there's a child in everyone of us, isn't it?!
Herb Egg Mayonnaise Bread Cups (adapted from Donna Hay)
serves 1 (simply double up the recipe if you are making for 2)
Bread Cups (makes 2 cups)
4 slices of bread, crusts removed
*My picture above shows 6 slices of bread which made 3 bread cups. After making them, I think 4 slices is more than enough for 1 serving
softened butter, for spreading
Egg Mayonnaise Filling
1 egg, room temperature
1 tbsp mayonnaise (you can adjust according to your preference)
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 tsp of truffle oil (optional)
mixed dried herbs for garnishing (optional)
Bread Cups :
- Preheat oven to 200*C. Flatten the bread using a rolling pin and spread with butter.
- Overlap 2 slices of bread to create a star. Line the bread in 8x1 cup capacity (250ml) muffin tins.
- Bake for 10 minutes until light golden. (Note: I had to bake for 15 minutes. It really depends on your oven)
Egg Mayonnaise Filling :
- Slip the egg into a pot of hot simmering water for 10-12 minutes. Remove from hot water, cool, peel and chop them into small pieces.
- In a bowl, combine egg, mayonnaise, salt, pepper and truffle oil and mix well.
- Divide the egg mayonnaise into the 2 bread cups. Garnish with mixed dried herbs if desired.